Level 1 Trauma Centers in Lexington KY
Lexington Kentucky is home to many great hospitals with great emergency rooms. Only one, however, has trauma center designation, and that’s Albert B. Chandler Hospital UK HealthCare. UK HealthCare’s Chandler Emergency Department is the region’s only Level 1 trauma center for adults and is also a Level 1 pediatric trauma center.
- UK HealthCare’s Chandler Emergency Department
- Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center
- UK Healthcare Home
Please note: If you have sustained a traumatic injury due to someone else’s negligence, talk to an attorney at Kaufman and Stigger, PLLC. The call is free and we will only offer you advice which is in your best interest.
What is a Trauma Center?
A trauma center provides emergency care for patients suffering from major traumatic injuries such as sudden, severe injuries from a car accident, fall, or other injury. A trauma center is equipped and staffed to treat patients suffering from major traumatic injuries 24 hours a day. Official designation as a “trauma center” is determined by state law. Kentucky law uses the designation and verification process from the American College of Surgeons (ACS), which is a private accreditation institution. In Kentucky, we have 4 levels of trauma centers, with level 1 being the highest.
Level I centers provide multidisciplinary treatment and specialized resources for trauma patients.
Components of a Level I Trauma Center:
- Surgeons on staff 24 hours able to perform all types of critical care surgeries.
- Referral resource for communities in nearby regions.
- Requires and provides continuing education of the trauma team members.
- Operates an organized teaching and research effort to help direct new innovations in trauma care.
- Has protocols for substance abuse screening and patient intervention.
- Utilizes a comprehensive quality assessment program.