Dealing with Farmers Insurance After A Louisville KY Accident
When a careless driver sends you into an accident you don’t get to choose what insurance company you deal with. You’re usually stuck with whatever firm the at-fault driver decided to sign-up with years ago. Farmers is one of the major insurers covering American drivers and you may find yourself very dependent on their whims when you’re recovering from injury.
If you are the victim of an accident in Louisville or anywhere in Kentucky and left with a serious injury don’t leave your physical and financial health in the hands of any insurance company. Contact a Louisville Attorney with Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, for a free consultation and a free look behind the curtain on how insurance companies can treat accident victims. We can ensure that your rights are respected and fight to get you compensation for every hardship you’ve endured.
Farmers Insurance Pitfalls for Louisville Accident Victims to Avoid
According to Forbes, Farmers Insurance makes the top ten list of biggest insurers in the United States, so the odds of you getting in an accident with one of their drivers isn’t so small. You might have a careless driver come into your lane on Interstate 264 or 265. You could see a motorist blow through a traffic light on Westport Road and be unable to avoid a crash.
If you do find yourself the victim of another driver’s mistake, you’ll likely be getting a call from Farmers representatives in the weeks that follow. You should know that this call is recorded and that it’s not just a wellness check. Agents are hoping to get you to make a statement about the accident and your injuries that they can use to pick your case apart later. You should politely decline to offer any statements.
Farmers Insurance may also drag its feet on your claim, all the while knowing that your worry only multiplies as your medical invoices pile up and your lost wages at work start to hurt your finances. The longer they wait the more disheartened you may get. They use this to try to get you to jump at the first offer they throw out. This offer is usually very unfair to the victim.
What to do after an accident involving Farmers Insurance Group?
With all of this in mind, you can see why having strong evidence and an attorney putting together a solid case for you can be your only defense against the ploys of the insurance industry.
The most important evidence can be found on the scene right after a collision. Unfortunately, you’ll likely have plenty of things to deal with at that moment, including a possible injury. But if you are physically strong enough to get out of your car, you should try to gather all of the details you can:
- Dial 911 – Get your injuries treated and documented by paramedics. A police report will be one of the strongest pieces of evidence you can have.
- Get photos and video – Record the damage to cars and the road features involved in the accident including lane markings, medians, street signs, and traffic lights. Get video of license plates on the cars involved. Note any signage on the at-fault driver’s vehicle.
- Note important factors – The time, date and make and model of cars can be something you completely forget later. An officer’s badge number is also something you can easily forget. Write them down or enter them into your phone. Also, look around to see if there are any surveillance cameras in the area.
- Exchange info with the other drivers – Get their insurance policy numbers and driver’s license information as well as their name and address. Note if they were working for a rideshare or delivery company when the accident occurred. Don’t talk to them about how the accident happened or how badly you are hurt. You may not know that you are injured until your shock wears off and you may still be fuzzy on how the accident occurred. Let your attorney sort that out later.
- Find out what witnesses saw – Ask witnesses if they are willing to give you a statement recorded on your phone or written down. Have them sign any written testimony. Find out how your attorney can reach them later.
If you’d like more pointers on dealing with other insurance companies in Kentucky click on our insurance page here.
Contact a Louisville Car Accident Lawyer
You didn’t cause your accident and you shouldn’t have to fight an insurance company to get relief from hospital bills plus you’re normal monthly bills that are going unpaid. Talk to a Louisville Car Accident Attorney to make sure you’re doing everything you can to protect yourself from Farmers agents who are going to chip away at your case and the amount of compensation you receive.
The attorneys at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, have that knowledge and a combined 100 years’ experience in helping clients get the compensation they’ll need to make a full recovery. To discuss your case, reach out to Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC today, by clicking here to contact them online.